- In a simple model, the surface area, S km2, of a shrinking rainforest depends on the time, t, in years since 1980.
The following information is available for rainforest A.
- its surface area in 1980 was 300,000 km2
- its surface area in 1981 was 294,000 km2
The surface area of rainforest A is monitored over a 30-year period. Its surface area after 30 years is 150,000 km2.
b) Evaluate the reliability of your model in light of this information.
The following information is known about rainforest B.
- it had the same surface area, in 1980, as rainforest A
- it is harder to access by road, so the rate of deforestation is less than rainforest B and its surface area decreases more slowly than that of rainforest A