Resource produced in collaboration with MEI
Brief overview of session ‘logic’
- Explore the infographic – what can be worked out from this information and what questions does it raise?
- Look at trends in vehicle registrations
- Look at proportions of types of newly registered vehicles over time – why has the percentage of petrol cars being registered increased from 2015 to 2020?
- Do some calculations to show that the number of petrol cars being registered has decreased from 2015 to 2020.
- Reflect upon the implications for misleading representations of data
- Consider the implications of the ban on new petrol and diesel cars by 2030 – what affect will this ban have on the proportions of car types being registered?
- What questions does the increase in electric vehicles raise?
Mathematical opportunities offered
- Interpretation of data, statistics, graphs, infographics in context
- Critiquing graphs
- Reading scales
- Calculating percentages
- Exploring proportions of quantities over time
- Making conjectures about future proportions given available data
- Analysing and comparing data in order to develop and present a conclusion.