Resource produced in collaboration with MEI
Brief overview of session ‘logic’
- Why trees are good
- People are planting trees – estimates around what the numbers look like in terms of land use
- Some companies encourage you to offset flights by planting trees – how many trees for one flight?
- How much carbon do trees sequester?
- How does the amount of carbon sequestered by a tree change during its lifecycle?
- What happens to that carbon when a tree dies?
- Can you plant a tree to offset a flight?
- What is Net Zero?
- Can trees be used to achieve Net Zero?
Mathematical opportunities offered
- Estimation and proportional reasoning
- Developing a sense of scale of large numbers
- Converting between m2 and km2
- Interpretation of data, statistics, graphs, infographics in context
- Critiquing graphs
- Analysing and comparing data in order to develop and present a conclusion
- Making assumptions
- Making predictions
- Reading scales
Download the resources